Friday 4 February 2011

Experience with Autos

Actually, I like autos and like the ventilation aspect of autos compared to closed car. I wanted to own an auto initially, but no one liked my idea. I am mostly dependent on autos for my travel and hence had this idea. But my husband got a small car instead. I am still not comfortale driving the car alone, since no one had the courage to sit with me and guide me drive. So, my dependency on auto continues....

Travelling  by Auto from Central Station to Anna Nagar, to my Grandmother's place was a routine during summer holidays when we were kids. That was the time when I know only Anna Nagar in Chennai. I remember my father bargaining with the auto drivers on the fare. With my father, auto drivers always got bonus. Didn't use autos much in Vellore (my hometown), where my school was just 10 minutes by cycle and college was another 10 minutes by college bus. So auto holds a place in the memories of my summer holidays in Chennai.

Landed in chennai to work and travelling by small autos became little more frequent, atleast once a month and other days travel was by share autos. The travel was mostly during the day and never found difficult. Slowly learnt the art of bargaining, but still not mastered. I remember some of the official visits to Bangalore where I had to travel by auto during early morning, when it was still dark. Scared but not showing it to the auto driver, paying more for lesser distance. When I am more scared, I used to message the auto registration number to my husband. They can always trace if I don't reach safely.

Work taught me more of Chennai. Auto trips reduced after I bought my first purple Scooty out of my salary. No bargains, no fears, no fights. I was not dependent on anyone except during rains where I had to again go back to autos. I didn't get to have a pleasant trip by buses, as they are always crowded and hence preferred autos.

No comments: